Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Happenings in the first couple of weeks of '08

Well, it seems we've blown right into '08 and not had a chance to look back! As pastor would say, "I've been busier than a cat's tail in a room full of rocking chairs!!!"

Since STAPLES was open on New Year's Day, I was working as well...so that kind of shot down any "holiday feel." However, things have been going well at work. Our fiscal year ends this month, so February is the start of a new "STAPLES Year!" With that may come a step up into management, at least as things sit right now.

Last Friday the computer tech at work (Nate) and myself drove over 140 miles up to Montpelier, ID and back to install a couple of Brother All-In-One machines (printer, fax, copier, scanner) at a real estate business. We had just been told that we needed to set up the printers, but beyond that we didn't have any other information.

When we got there, we found out that there were seven computers that needed to share these two printers via a network. Three of the units were laptops which would connect wirelessly, and the others were desktops that were "hardwired" into the network. Not only that, but three of the computers were Windows Vista, while the other four were varying editions of Windows XP. To top it all off, several of the computers needed to have access to BOTH printers, while several needed to be limited to just the one in the front office!

After this had been explained and the lady had left, I turned to Nate and asked, "Have you ever set up a network printer?" He shook his head and asked, "Haven't you?" I shook my head, we both laughed, and then started working.

It all went very smoothly, though now with our newly acquired network printer skills we would do things in a slightly different order than we did then. The trip back was uneventful and we arrived at the store in Logan around 5pm.

As soon as I got home I threw my Air Force stuff in my bag and headed down to meet up with my friend Derek. He had just returned from 6 months in Iraq to find that his wife had taken off and his house was trashed. Not only that, but the majority of six months worth of bills and notices were left unopened in a big pile. So, I ended up staying with him and helping to sort stuff out. He's doing ok and is spending his "vacation time" refiinancing the house, changing bank accounts, etc.

Anyway, I came back up to Logan on Monday, stopping for a few minutes at Guitar Center in Ogden to try out any new guitars they had in stock. Just a few blocks from my house, the car ahead of me ran a red light and t-boned a minivan. Driving is dangerous here in Utah!

Well, that is just a short summary of the latest. I have taken quite a few pictures that I will be periodically posting on the site here. One of the upcoming posts will be "A Tribute to Winter." Talk to y'all later.

7 Comments:

Blogger Veta said...

Hey hey, Montpelier ID was in our neck of the woods. We lived in Pocatello for three years. You should explore Idaho, Craters of the Moon National Park, Sun Valley in the summer is great. Also areas up around the I think it is called Red Salmon are beautiful. There are also some caves somewhere around American Falls. Oh and there is also Lava Hot Springs. Great places.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Cooke family said...

Hi derek Matthew here,

Did you play any guitars that you liked? At the moment I would have to say that Mcpherson and Breedlove are my favorite guitars. When you mentioned your friend Derek I remembered a post you had back in July. You went camping with some friends and one of there names was Derek, is this the same guy?

12:36 AM  
Blogger Spring said...

Hey there,
Sounds like Staples hasn't changed much! I hope that you do get the promotion to manager. I always thought that you would do a really good job at it. Sorry it has taken so long to respomd to you, the move has been drawn out and the internet installation took alot longer than it should have. We are finally here though and I really like it so far...plus the added bonus of being able to stay home and just be a mom! Hope all is going well with you, and tell Martin and Ken that I give my recommendation that you be promoted to Manager...it probably won't cary much weight though.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

Matt...well, I still like the Martin guitars more than any of the rest of them. I've played quite a few Taylors and Gibsons and just like that "Martin sound" better than anything else. To me it just sounds more balanced.

Also, it is the same Derek that I went camping with in July. I usually hang out with him when I have my Reserve weekends and I'll probably be doing the same now that he's back from Iraq.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

Spring...thanks for your comments. Miss ya around the store, but I know things are better for you and Ryan (and Poppy) right now. Stop by when ya can.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Cordell J. Larkin said...

They have computers in Montpelier, ID? And with that sophisticated of a network setup? Them potatoe farmers is gettin' smart. :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

Cords!!! Whatup? Yeah, they have computers...run 'em with generators in the back of pickup trucks. After all, ya gotta do some computin' while tailgatin' no?

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home