Monday, December 24, 2007

I Speak Penguin!



So...where have I been for the last couple of months?

Well, here in Logan...

...and learning to speak "penguin"

Ok, still confused? Does anyone recognize this icon?

No?

Well, alright, it's the symbol for Linux.

What is Linux?

Ummm...it's an alternative operating system to Windows or Macintosh OS X.

- It's free.

- It comes in over 300 varieties.

- It is not vulnerable to adware, spyware or viruses.

- It can run on old computers (or new ones).

- And that's just a few of the advantages off the top of my head.

Since the first part of November I have been running different distributions of Linux on my computer. It is fast and very flexible. With Linux and the additional open source (aka "free") software packages, the $100 computer could definitely be a reality. Even that old tower sitting in the corner could once again be used with a brand new operating system.

Currently I am still learning more about Linux, it's commands, layout and structure. I went from being interested, to liking it, to loving it...so I guess for me Linux is here to stay...now which of the 300 distros should I choose???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big D-
I'm glad you are back. I miss hearing an update from time to time. It won't surprise you that Annette thought you were sick or something terrible went wrong. I encouraged her to call you and get your voice mail. She will be pleased to know that you raised your head for a bit online. We miss your calls and wish you a Merry Christmas!

Bill et al

PS: Faith still goes "beep beep" when we ask her about uncle Derek:)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Mr. E. said...

I messed around with Knoppix but it caused the blue screen of death and I didn't want to deal with it (see my post here on that troublesome day). Anyway, any suggestions on an easy way to getting started with Linux (stress on the word EASY).
Eric
Whatever

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home