Thursday, January 31, 2008

Guitar Center Revisited




I don't know for sure what it is about Guitar Center in Roy, UT that I like so much. Perhaps its the rustic "acoustic" room that has nothing but acoustic guitars. Perhaps its the fact that one can sit in there and play to one's heart's content. Whatever it is, I like it a lot.

Well, having been there a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, I got the crazy idea that I should pass on my own views on the 6-string wonders that I found there.


One of the first brands I picked up was Gibson. Guitar Center has a nice cross section of the Gibson line, and I had the chance to play them both fingerstyle and flatpickin' If I were to describe the Gibson guitars in two words, they would be "solid" and "stable". They had a good sound, though perhaps a bit muffled or held back. They seem to be a bit reserved, as if they are saving their sound for a later date. Overall the action and necks felt good on the models I played. As they are manufactured just north of here in Bozeman, MT, I may have to head on up there some time and really get a good idea of what they're like.


Another brand that I had been interested in, especially after Matt said he liked them (if I remember correctly) was the Breedlove guitars. These have a very distinctive headstock and seem to be offered in anything from a first time guitar to more professional models. The ones featured at this particular Guitar Center seemed focused more on first time buyers. Personally I was not very impressed with the guitars or their sound (though I'm definitely open to changing that opinion at a later date). This being said, I was impressed with the build quality.


Once in a while Guitar Center will take a guitar in on trade that they normally don't sell. This was the case with an $1800 Morgan that I found in the corner. Visually this guitar was impressive. After close inspection however, I wasn't too impressed with the finish work on this particular model. The frets were not filed down smooth, and my fingers seemed to catch on them slightly as I played some chords. While not "cheap sounding", this guitar didn't impress me with anything special or out of the ordinary.



Well, in an attempt not to bore you with too many of my opinionated reviews, I'll only deal with two more brands. The first of these would be Taylor. Taylor makes some of the nicest looking guitars...IMHO (in my humble opinion). I am sure there are a few of their models that they don't spend as much time on as others, but they have definitely turned their guitars into pieces of artwork. I will say their bridge shape is my favorite, and their headstock is nice looking as well. I suppose one could say they are modern looking guitars.

This being said, I personally would not prefer to own one. Why? Simply the sound. What I mean by this is that the Taylors have a very distinctive sound. They have succeeded in making a line of guitars that has a definite sound and tone quality that is fairly unique...and I do congratulate them on that, for it doesn't appear to be easy to differentiate guitar tones (at least as I've judged on the different brands I've played).

The Taylor sound to me is too bright. Of course this varies depending on the woods used in the construction of the guitar and the strings, etc. This being the case, it still seems to be a distinctive of Taylor guitars which I tend dislike. This is one reason I would not like to own one. The second reason is that the sound to me seems very "peaky". When I play them, I hear strong bass and strong high's but not a lot of blended mid's. This may be exactly what they were aiming for, so I don't fault it for that, but I prefer more of a blended sound.

One final note about the Taylors...I can't ever seem to get comfortable on the neck. It is a thin cross-section and could be labeled a "fast" neck for playing, but I always feel awkward on it. So, if you like the Taylor sound and the neck, you will absolutely love these guitars. They are well built and distinctive. I, however, have a more traditional favorite...


To anyone who knows guitars, D-28 or HD-28 have special meaning. They are built in the little town of Nazareth, Penn, and if imitation is indeed a form of flattery, than these guitars should feel very honored...for these are none other than the prodigy of the Martin Guitar Company.

I will say I am extremely biased when it comes to guitars. (ok, maybe opinionated is a better word). The very first Martin that I played live (apart from maybe one or two in captivity...aka...guitar stores) was a Martin DM acoustic-electric cutaway. It was out at Clover Pass and was just sitting there, waiting to be played. Being interested in different guitars, I asked if I could play it...

...it was love at first sight, sound, chord, etc. I instantly became a believer in the Martin sound. When chording, that little mahogany and spruce gem blended the notes perfectly, yet when individual strings were played, they sounded out distinctly and with a fullness that belied the size of that instrument.


Yes, I was hooked. After a lot of research and a few e-mails back and forth to a guitar shop in Kansas City, I was soon the proud owner of a Martin DRE. The DRE differed from the DM I had played in that it was not a cutaway, had a Fishman Prefix blender on board, and had Indian Rosewood sides and back.

I still have that guitar, and I have to admit, to my ears it is one of the nicest sounding guitars I have ever heard. Personally I think it can hold its own with its two thousand dollar siblings. Anyway, to bring this to a close, I played several Martins there at Guitar Center, and they still sit as my favorite line of guitars. If I ever have the chance to go back and tour the factory again, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home