Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Gadget Guy! - Part One

I don't know why, but a natural side-effect of being involved with computers and computer equipment is a phenomenon known as "gadget-i-tis." Gadgets do fall in many categories, and in my particular case, I found myself gravitating towards gadgets that were small.

Now I will say this, I have always like small things...well, at least some things. For instance, I have always liked small airplanes and small cars. I have a travel guitar which is about half the size of a "real" one. I even had a twin size bed while growing up, and my sister had the queen.

Before we continue, I must admit that there are some things that I don't like in a small size. Steak, for instance, should be larger than 12oz if at all possible! Clothes also should not be too small.

As I said, however, I do like small gadgets. My particular case of "gadget-i-tis" began, if I remember correctly, with a small PDA (personal digital assistant) known as the Palm III.




From the time I first laid eyes on this little beauty, I knew it was one that I "needed" to have. So, after doing quite a bit of research and reading up on this product, I was soon the proud owner of a III. This was a great little machine and introduced me to the world of Palm and the Palm OS (operating system).




It was not long before I decided that a great addition to my new gadget would be the GoType! keyboard by LandWare. So, in due time another box arrived at my door (well, my parents' door to be exact) and I was soon typing away on my Palm.




Well, as any true sufferer of "gadget-i-tis" will tell you, once one becomes familiar with one's gadget, the time comes that one must consider upgrading to a better gadget. As I began to feel the constraints of the tiny amount of memory with the III, I chose to upgrade to another similar model called the TRGPro. This device boasted the Palm OS AND a CF (compact flash) card slot so that I could add additional storage capacity.



Well, time passed and I began to realize that it was time to go to a color gadget, for technology passes as do fads. I had been eyeing the Palm IIIc, one of the first color Palms on the market. The reviews were really good and I had a buyer for my TRGPro, so it wasn't long before yet another box arrived at the doorstep.

Now I will admit that I really, really liked this new model. It was great to finally see all the icons and text in color, and the Bible program that I had installed on it (after all, accessorize, accessorize, accessorize) looked really good.



After some time, I began to notice another breed of gadget called a "palmtop." This device ran a version of Windows called CE and could get on the Web as well as type up Word documents and Excel documents. One model in particular, the Jornada 680 by HP caught my eye. Well, the Palm IIIc was sold on eBay and from eBay came a spankin' new Jornada.

The Jornada was a great little device and I found that with practice I could actually type quite well on the keyboard. I actually took it to church for Bible study and found I could keep up with Pastor Kevin. It was great to have my notes accessible in a Word doc instead of leafing through the pages of a notebook.




Well, the Jornada lasted me until I joined the Air Force. I had to leave it behind when I left for BMT (basic military training) and while in tech school found myself wanting some sort of gadget to goof around with. Well, another guy at tech school had a Palm he was not using and wanted to get rid of, so soon I was the proud owner of a Palm m125. While I didn't use it as much as I had thought I would, the m125 proved to be a great digital companion.


Well, fast forward to this last June (of 2007). My cell phone battery was getting really short, and I had a $150 upgrade bonus with Sprint for being with them so long, so...it was time for a new gadget...er...phone. With the PDA market headed nowhere in particular, I decided that a PDA phone was in order. So, as I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I am the proud owner of a Sprint Motorola Q. I now have the Bible on it and actually use it as my main Bible for church. The black ruggedized case that you see in the picture above is the one I finally settled on for mine as well.

Well, this is the end of this part of my history with gadgets. There actually was a purpose for writing this, which I will reveal in the second part of this story...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Derek, I am curious to know your actual purpose for writing your gadget history! I'm also looking forward to your winter pics.

Glad you like the new blog. It doesn't feel like "home" yet but it will. WordPress has a lot of great features but pics are harder to maneuver. It's been a fun project.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Mr. E. said...

I'm still using my Dell Axim w/ Windows Mobile 5. I have e-sword on it . . . which I use as my main Bible in church on Sunday and at our Friday night Bible studies. Gadget-i-tis is definitely a serious disease. Lately I've been carefully inspecting the Canon G9, but my current G series Canon still works quite nicely. I think I'm probably not a Type 1, but probably a Type 2, like yourself, although my strain may have a greater impact on my daily life than yours. Have you heard of any medical breakthroughs that could alleviate any of our symptoms? Perhaps we'll simply have to suffer with our affliction.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home