Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Weekly Digest - September 11, 2007

Wow! I've been 30 for over a week and I feel grrrreat! Here's the latest from Cache Valley...

FOURPLEX
The apartment that I rent is part of a privately owned fourplex. Within the last month, the final empty apartment was rented, so we now have folks in all four. On Sunday night after church, I got together with all the neighbors (renters) for a little ice cream shake "social" just to hang out and chat. The folks above me, Andy and Nicole, hosted the event, and we were joined by Josh and Meagan (who is expecting), and the newest residents Paul, Rachel and their 3-month old daughter Shaden (not sure on the spelling...Shayden, Shaydin???). Anyway, we had a great time joking around (yes, I was the instigator of that) and having shakes. Nicole asked if I would bring my guitar up and play something (no, the floor aren't completely soundproof, so a little "pickin'" get's upstairs on occasion...but only during normal hours, not early or late!). I played a couple of hymns and my rendition of "Silent Night." All-in-all a fine end to a great day.

SUNDAY
Speaking of which, Sunday was a great day. I find as I get to know the Lord better, that Sundays have taken on an increasing importance. I have a growing distaste for missing any meetings at church at all, even men's prayer or Wednesday night Bible studies. Anyway, lest I head off on a rabbit trail...back to Sunday. We had a missionary to Belarus as our speaker. In the evening he showed his "slides" and also preached, as he had for both Sunday School and the main service. During the morning service, we had two folks make professions of faith in Christ, and another on Sunday afternoon. We will be praying that God continues to grow and strengthen these ones who have made a public declaration of turning their backs on sin and accepting the finished "cross-work" of Christ. The presentation of the ministry in Belarus brings to mind once again the needs that are represented by our missionaries around the world. This particular man was put under surveillance by the KGB in Belarus, for several weeks. He could not even attend the church he started, let alone preach. He couldn't communicate with anyone from the church, nor could they call him. And all during this time, he was alone, for the government would not renew the visas for his wife and son. Let us not forget that there are still things like this going on in countries around the world right now, and that not all is as free and easy as it is here in America.

WIRELESS
At the risk of bouncing around, I wanted to get back to my neighbors here in the fourplex. We all use the internet, so we decided to split the cost of using one connection. This last week I "cut the cord" and am going completely wireless, courtesy of Andy and Nicole's router. I think Josh and Meagan are going to pick it up next time. Splitting the monthly bill three or four ways will definitely be nice!

KETCHIKAN
Plans are still moving ahead for an upcoming trip to Ketchikan. I have my reservations made, though I'm looking at the potential of changing my coming home dates. This trip will use up all my remaining vacation & leave time, so this will be my final "hurrah" for the year. I'm sure looking forward to seeing all of the folks up there again, and it looks like I'll have the opportunity to share some of what the Lord is doing in my life on one of the two Sundays that I am up there.

WEATHER
It is so nice to finally have the temperatures dropping to a more "liveable" level. During the evenings, the temps are sitting in the mid-40's and only begin to warm up by late morning. I've noticed that even some of the trees are starting to show signs of fall, with the faintest hints of yellow showing between the "summer green" leaves. I am looking forward to doing some more photography during the fall and capturing more of the local colors. Cache Valley definitely experiences four distinct seasons.

RUTH (The book of the Bible, not a girl!...;)
God has continued to reveal more to me as I study the story of Ruth. Right now I am putting together brief character sketches of Elimelech and his family. It would seem that each member of the family (to include Orpah, but not Ruth), made a mistake that we can take note of, and learn from. Ruth, on the other hand, seems to have made all the right choices. (This of course is by the design of God, for we are sure that she made many poor decisions as well, as we all do, but the aspects, situations and characteristics of her life that God wanted to display, these He inspired the author to write.) I believe it will be these character sketches that I will share with everyone at Clover Pass when I am up in Ketchikan.

IN CLOSING...
Well, it looks as if this post is gaining a "weekly digest" length, so I'll call it quits for now. John and Trista got me a Starbucks travel "mug" which I have been taking to work with me. It works great and is the first one that I have owned. Thanks you guys! I am continuing to play the guitar and hopefully am learning some new techniques and such. I play every Sunday at church as well, accompanying the piano on, believe it or not, hymns! And guess what...most of them are in the "flat" keys! I trust that this post finds you all doing well, having started a new week, and that we all will rely utterly and completely on the Lord for His strength, that we would be able to accomplish something useful for His kingdom today and throughout the week. God bless you all!


Derek

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

D, I miss the Sat or Sun calls...(hint...hint).

Love you still!

Bill and family

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home