Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Favorite Restaurants - Olive Garden


I have heard almost all the arguments and broohaha about Olive Garden. "It isn't authentic." "It's the worst Italian food joint." Etc. Etc. Yet, it is hard to argue that Olive Garden isn't popular. Try to get a seat on a Friday or Saturday night and, while people may bad-mouth it, they will still go.

Personally, I love Olive Garden. I don't go to get the most authentic Italian food experience this side of Tuscany. Instead I go because I: like the food, like the atmosphere, and (in reference to our local establishment) like the waiters, waitresses, and managers.

While I haven't met anything on the Olive Garden menu which I don't like, there are some items that I do really enjoy. Here are a few of them.

I Recommend:

The Salad
Ok, just admit it, many of you think of salad and breadsticks when you think Olive Garden. That's ok, everyone does! The salad is great, though the lack of bleu cheese dressing and predominance of Italian does remind one of the type of cuisine that is featured by this franchise. Nonetheless, the salad is excellent, and anyone who frequents this place will be often found with a salad bowl in front of them.



The Soup
There are times that I like to get the soup instead of the salad. Now, I know I'm not known for being a soup guy. That has been pretty well established over the years. However, Olive Garden makes a soup that even I appreciate! It is called the zuppa toscana, which, to the best of my limited knowledge must mean Tuscan soup. (Don't quote me on that...just a hunch). Anyway, this thing is the most appetizing potato-based soup this side of home-cooked clam chowder. It is basically a potato soup with pieces of Italian sausage, some green leafy stuff, and spices. All I can say is "Wow" or maybe "Fill 'er up!"

Entrees
Soup, salad and breadsticks are all well and good, (especially if the breadsticks are accompanied by a small dish of alfredo dipping sauce), but the real reason one comes to Olive Garden is for the entrees (well, entrees and desserts!). I don't have the time or space to list every entree off of the menu, so I will content myself with listing a couple.

The chianti braised short ribs are absolutely delightful. If they weren't bordering on the pricey side, I would be inclined to get them every time I went to eat. The meat is so tender and juicy that it almost reminds one of dessert (well, at least it does me...remember, I'm the steak guy!). The attendant vegetables and potatoes serve to round out this particularly exquisite expression of culinary art.


The veal parmigiana is an example of the wonderful tomato-based pasta and meat line of entrees. While different than homemade sauces, the marinera/spaghetti/lasagna sauce is very nice. It goes well on all of the entrees it is served on.

I could list many other wonderful dishes which compete for my attention. The five-cheese Ziti is good, as is the seafood alfredo. You know, even the lasagna and spaghetti is great. So, don't be afraid to explore the possibilites afforded by the entree menu

Dessert
For a good restaurant (in my opinion) to really be classed that way, it must serve up the same quality of desserts as it does entrees. Here Olive Garden does not disappoint. I will list a couple of examples off of the menu, but really, you should try them all.

The tiramisu is the perfect compliment to a cup of coffee. (Speaking of which, I really like the flavor of Olive Garden's coffee...very nice!) I think my favorite part is the frozen custard section, but the espresso flavored lady's fingers are a nice touch as well. Though I think light or heavy should describe things other than food, the tiramisu would be classed as a light dessert.

On the other side of the coin, consider the black tie. It is rich, brash, bold and says "chocolate mousse" like its going out of style. While I am not a chocoholic, this fine piece of work has snagged me more than a few times. This, along with the cheesecake, holds down the "heavier" end of the menu.

So there you have it...a few pics and comments about another favorite restaurant. More to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home