Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Top 5 - Cars

Growing up, I used to always try to pick my favorite of anything. Here are my top five cars, though I won't say top five of all time, because my knowledge of older ones is quite limited. For instance, after watching Pixar's Cars I thought the Hudson Hornet looked really cool...but I don't know much about it.

The Fine Print:
This is the Top 5 list excluding the New Beetle. Since I own and drive a New Beetle, I am extremely biased. It takes the spot above the Top 5!

No. 5 - Jeep Wrangler

Ok, I'll admit it. I have always liked Jeeps. While not really fond of the Cherokee line myself, I do like the Wranglers. Why, I don't really know. They are definitely one of the first SUV's. They do have a great history, especially in WWII days. Maybe it's because I have driven one, or maybe because I took a short road trip in one. Really, I'm not entirely sure. If I needed to go on back country roads more often, I think I'd end up with one of these.


No. 4 - Dodge Charger and Charger R/T

Since its introduction (or re-introduction), the Dodge Charger has grown on me. At first I considered it simply another retro model, and not being really familiar with the original Charger, it left me unconcerned. What happened was this: I began noticing that I was doing double-takes every time a Charger went by. I began scanning Chrysler and Dodges dealerships for Chargers as I drove past. This last March I had the chance to ride in one and was not disappointed. The best part is that it is a 4-door, while its main competitor (as I see it) is the 2-door Ford Mustang. A practical sports car? Sweet!


No. 3 - Mini Cooper S



I am beginning to notice a pattern in my favorite cars. Here is another retro car, descended from a long and successful lineage in British racing and driving. This is another car that I have found to be a head turner. I notice them when I am on the freeway, the highway, or the driveway. They are rather iconic and unique. This would definitely be my Beetle replacement, if no New Beetles were available. They are reportedly quick and feisty, and I would LOVE to take a road trip in one.


No. 2 - Aston Martin Vanquish



I was introduced, at least to the best of my knowledge, to the Aston Martins by none other than that quintessential British spy, James Bond. Prior to seeing these cars in the movies, I hadn't really seen much of them. I still know little about them and their performance, but they sure do make a sweet looking ride! I'd drive one in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't want to own one. Gas prices, insurance, and the constant "worry-factor" would preclude it from my "want to own" list, not to mention the aquisition price!


No. 1 - Ferrari 360 Modena and 575 Maranello



I make no apologies for placing two Ferraris in first place. Since I first saw a picture of a 360 Modena, I have been in love. Have I ever driven one? No, or you surely would have heard about it by now! Do I know much about them? Not really. The extent of my knowledge is that gleaned by occasional and very random test drive articles. But this I know, it is definitely a Ferrari...and that means one thing: Suh-WEET! The 575 Maranello is a close second to the Modena for me, and shares the same numero uno spot. Like that Aston Martin, I wouldn't want to own one, for the same reasons listed, but oh what a sweet set of cars they are!


Grand Prize Winner! - New Beetle



Ok, so how does one make a Top 5 list and then list a sixth car? Well, it is quite easy really. Just add another picture... For me, the New Beetle holds a place that is quite distinct and unique from other cars. It is unpretentious and practical (unlike the Ferraris and Aston Martin), is a retro re-introduction of a well known and loved car (like the Mini Cooper and Dodge Charger), and has tons of headroom* (like the Jeep Wrangler). It is not without its faults, weaknesses and foibles. However, I would drive a New Beetle until the whole thing fell apart...(wait a sec, isn't that what I'm doing?). Anyway, I love these little cars, and the only things I would replace my '98 New Beetle with would be an '07 New Beetle in Salsa Red. See, I told you I was biased!

* The headroom comment is based on the author's experience and refers to the front seats only. The backseat headroom falls under weaknesses!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Derek - my #1 car of your "top 5" is either the jeep or the mini cooper.
you have good taste on those 2 and the Beetle but the others a little to "sporty" for me.
you are fun Derek - keep up that good mind of yours.
I'm hanging out with my folks and my dad says he likes the Vanquish. Personally I think you both are CRAZY!
Don't worry - crazy is a good thing in my book.
-Kimberly Lundeen

7:40 PM  
Blogger David, Jenn, and Abby said...

Um, i didn't see the Honda Civic listed...?

4:48 PM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

Ahem "rice rocket"...Oh, did I say that out loud??!!! I have to say I am not very Civicly minded. Nor am I really in Accord with others who are... When speaking of them, I am really out of my Element!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

By the way, as a postscript...none of these cars are family cars, in case you hadn't noticed. They are my favorites as I sit here right now. A wife, four kids and a dog or two would change the whole situation!!!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Cordell J. Larkin said...

I bet you could convince the better half that the Charger is a family car, it does have four doors. :)

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home