Thursday, April 05, 2007

A "Grand" Explanation

I have been in touch with my friends from South Carolina and was delighted to hear that Pastor Simun and Linda Simun, Bill and Annette Denton with their little girl Faith, and April Simun would be in Flagstaff, AZ at the end of March. (Annette is the Simun's oldest daughter). (I had spent countless Sunday evenings with Bill and Annette while I was in South Carolina.)

To make a long story short, last Friday morning found me on the road for Flagstaff. (That was after working all night at Staples...9PM to 6AM.) After a 10 hour drive, I arrived in Arizona and met up with the Simuns and Dentons.

On Saturday we visited the Grand Canyon, and some pueblo ruins. On Sunday afternoon we went to an arboretum near Flagstaff and then took the drive to Sedona.

Monday found us out at the Sunset Crater Park and then at some other pueblo ruins. That evening we went back to the Grand Canyon to get some views of that particular wonder of the natural world.

Tuesday found us driving out on I-40 to the Petrified Forest National Park and the Painted Desert. That evening, I hit the road for the trip home.

Not one to take a direct route when a circuitous one will do, I doubled my driving time. Here are the return trip stats:

- Driving time: 20.5 hours
- States covered: Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah
- Route: Flagstaff -> Albuquerque -> Denver -> Cheyenne -> Logan

My trip did come to an ignominious end. I came across behind Bear Lake, a large lake that is half in Utah and half in Idaho. I have only been over to Bear Lake a couple of different times, all of them coming over the mountains from Logan. Well, after being up for about 36 hours, the last thing I wanted was a delay. I got one.

My problem? I couldn't find the road that went over the pass back to Logan. I drove south...I drove north. I drove up side roads. I almost broke down and asked directions...but I didn't. To make a 45 min story short, I found it...and drove back home where I happily hit the sack!

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Sounds fun! It's good to see new pics and to hear of the latest adventures. :)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Veta said...

Ok Derek, I wasn't aware you were driving that far south but if you are ever in the neighborhood of Phoenix, look Josh up. For the right price he will take you flying. He is a flight instructor with Pan Am. He loves to log those hours you know.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home