Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Post 401

Waiting for engine start
Ok, so the title of this blog entry really has nothing to do with its content, but since I now have over 400 posts on Bent Ear, I thought it was noteworth, if even in passing.

Many of you know I am in the USAF Reserves. I am a crewchief on the F-16's and serve as an all-around grease monkey (aka: jack of all trades, master of none) on the aircraft. My job is to make sure that all of the daily inspections are completed and documented in the aircraft forms, that all of the necessary hydraulic and nitrogen servicing is accomplished, and assisting the pilot in the launch and recovery of the aircraft.

By the end of next April, I will have hit my 8 year mark in the Air Force. During our trip down to Tyndall AFB in Florida, I was able to get a camera pass and take pictures out on the flight line. One of my buddies was willing to shoot a few pictures while I was launching out the jet, so I thought I'd post them so you all know what I do.

The pilot prepares to start the engine

Beginning my checks

The pilot throttles up the engine

Pulling the landing gear pins

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats pretty awesome! -V

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lookin good! -Scott

9:56 PM  
Blogger Sara Vbos said...

Great pics Derek!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Amber Rasch said...

Hey there stranger! Just came across your blog and thought I'd let you know that I finally started one. Come check up on the hubby and I every once in a while at coleamberrasch.blogspot.com

Are you coming to the family camp out this year?

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Derek, I loved the pictures of you in action on the job. It is good to share with everyone to let them in on your detailed job. Very technical grease monkey I would say. God bless you talk to you later. J.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Eric & Ragan Jorgensen said...

Hey Derek,
This is Eric (from reserves). I sure am going to miss crewing those jets with you man! It was real hard to leave the base last drill weekend. I can tell ya, I got a little choked up because I realized I'll actually miss it all. It's going to feel real strange waking up on the morning next drill weekend knowing that I wont be going in.

Thanks for "Pal-ing" around with me for all those years! We definitely have to go flying again though, sometime sooner than later preferrably!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Janet said...

Hi! Wow, how neat to see you in action on the base! Have 7 years passed already? I enjoyed finally getting caught up with you, at least partially, and I hope your 2009 plans include a visit to Ketchikan ....???

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home