Tuesday, January 06, 2009

At The Turning of the Year

As I sit here in front of my computer screen, I am pondering exactly what to say and how even to start. The fact that my last post was made in the waning days of September has not been lost on me. As a matter of fact I have considered making a blog entry several times, but have chosen not to.

To summarize the necessary details, I am fine, work continues on, and church is going well. I am still teaching out of the book of Ruth, in fact, we are still only partially through the first chapter. We are currently on a mini-series on being "Steadfastly Minded" and are considering different aspects of Ruth's "confession of faith" found in verses sixteen and seventeen. Perhaps you would be interested in hearing some of these studies, perhaps not.

As to the activities I have been involved in during the closing months of 2008, feel free to inquire. I will try to answer as best I can, and post applicable pictures. This last year has seen some of the highest highs and lowest lows I have ever experienced in my short 31 years on this earth. However, suffice it to say that I am firmly convinced of the unchanging and perfect character of God.

The Bible declares Him to be a good God, and whether I feel like He is or isn't does not change that fact. He is good. What He does is good. What He allows in our lives is good.

If there is anything I would give as encouragement and inspiration is simply this, as we have stepped over the threshold of the old year and passed into the earliest days of the new, make this one thing your primary focus this year: to cultivate a personal, passionate and vibrant relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I have been struck by Ruth's words, "Thy God, my God." Have we truly made Christ "my God"? Christ Himself said that many will come to Him on that day and say "Lord, Lord...haven't we cast out demons in your name? Haven't we done this and done that in your name? Haven't we done miraculous things all in your name?" And His answer is simply "Depart...I never knew you."

How much time did we invest in Christ this last year? How much effort and thought did we invest in the things which please Him? When was the last time we went out of our way simply to do something to please our Savior?

4 Comments:

Blogger sixwickerts said...

Derek, I am glad you are back in the blogging saddle. We are praying for a great year of encouragment and blessing for you! Come visit now you are within driving distance.....on and bring your parents too would ya? :)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Cooke family said...

Well HELLOOOO! Good to hear from you again! Come visit us too!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Nicole and Andy said...

Glad to hear from you again. Nicole and I were wondering what had happened to you in the past few months and are glad to hear that all is well. We're enjoying the California weather, but we do miss the old four-plex and helping the Stucki's to shovel. It is so important as you mentioned (esp. at this time) to solidify and strengthen our relationship with Christ. In essence, all gospel knowledge boils down to that, like the Savior said in John 17:3. Once again, glad to hear from you!

2:22 PM  
Blogger ~Stew~Becky~Petal~Sawyer~Finn ~ said...

Good word, Derek. Very well said.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home