Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

In 20-some years that I have noted the celebration of New Year's, (the first few don't count), I have never actually set any resolutions. I figured, since I will be 30 this year, that it was about time I do it! The way I see it, if I keep this pattern up, I won't have to make any more of them until I'm 60 ;)

Right now my pot of coffee has just finished brewing and I have poured myself a cup (there's nothing like that first cup!). Moments ago I did a Google search on "New Year's resolutions." I found out the most popular ones, how to make them, and the best site of all, how to keep them. Take a look at this gem from one of the latter.

"It’s that time of year and chances are pretty good you are going to make (or have already made) a resolution or two to change part of your life. Unfortunately most of us don’t follow-through. And then during the course of the year we set other goals that again don’t produce the result we hoped for. If this describes you, you are not alone. More than 85 percent of us make New Year’s resolutions, but almost none of us actually keep them for more than a few weeks. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be that way. The even better news is that it’s not your fault. It’s simply that life happens and your motivation gets zapped." (www.resolutionsolution.com)

Anyway, in spite of the relief that it is not my fault if I don't follow through with my resolutions, I am going to type them up here. They are not presented in any particular order.

Running - while I am pleased with the running I accomplished this last year (culminating in a 19-mile run), I want to incorporate it on a more regular basis this year. So far I have logged about 6 miles.

Guitar - because the guitar is so useful in ministry applications, I am going to practice on a daily basis to become more versatile and to be ready if the need arises.

Magazine - this will be the third year of publication for Grumman Amphibians and the first year of running it as a business. I want to apply myself to it and pursue sales and marketing ideas more aggressively. Part of this will include getting the new website finalized and posted, following up on potential leads, and brainstorming on ancillary products to accentuate the magazine.

Finances - as per status quo for many single guys, finances are not my strong suit. This year I will be taking a more aggressive stance towards them, and who knows, I might even make a budget!

The Apartment - in the same vein as above, my place is a stereotypical bachelor pad. I am going to be (this will be a process) cleaning, organizing, etc. This will definitely be a year-long process! I may even post "before" and "after" pics...but who wants to see what a bachelor pad looks like? ;)

That in a nutshell is my list. There are perhaps some noteworthy exceptions. I did not list my relationship with the Lord on here. That is something that I take to be self-evident. If it were on the list, it would definitely be the top priority, but its importance is much higher than this list that I didn't deem it worthy of mention there. For those that are interested, I am still continuing on in my study of the book of Ruth. God has been faithful in continuing to open His word to me.

As to my marital status, I am not looking for anyone at this time. I am very happy and content to be single for the time being, and have no desire to change that. If and when the Lord decides that the time is right, I'll go from there.

Another item that didn't make the list may be a potential job change and possibly some schooling as well. Qwest Communications has been hiring folks and they offer better benefits as well as competitive pay to what I am making right now. Not only that, but they offer full tuition reimbursement for schooling. We'll see what the Lord has in mind. It is my feeling that a job is primarily a mission-field, and secondarily a source of income.

Well, that is about it for now. This has gotten to be a rather long post, but I hope you all don't mind. A big thanks to all of you who have stopped by the blog to keep up on the latest in my life. May God richly bless each and every one of you in '07, definitely in a spiritual sense, but if He did in a "material" sense as well, I'm sure y'all wouldn't mind either!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Derek, it is always good to reevaluate, and maybe change or refocus on our priorities!! I have been doing some of that too :) I would love to see before and after pics of your bachelor pad!! May God give you help and direction for the new year. Hope to see you soon :)

12:59 PM  
Blogger Cooke family said...

Good resolutions. Use your blog as an incentive to clean and organize your bachelor pad! Before and after pics would be great! Also keep us posted on your running mileage. I hope to start running again this year too!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Mr. E. said...

Wow, you have lots of resolutions. I haven't made one for this year yet. Last year I resolved not to eat candy for the year. I actually made it to August (that was impressive, considering I work at a school and there's food everywhere).

Thanks for adding a link to my blog, Derek! It's nice to hear from CPCC people once in a while.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home