Saturday, October 21, 2006

My Sunday Usual...

Sunday is most definitely my favorite day of the week. Since you all have not experienced one of my Sundays, I thought I'd walk you through a typical one for me here in Logan.

The alarm usually goes off too early, so I reset it for a little later. After repeating this process several times, I get up the courage to throwback the covers and face the morning...in my Air Force sweats and a cup of coffee (unless there is no leftover coffee, which would necesitate brewing a new one).

Next, I sit down at the computer and check blogs for any new pics or info. By this time I can halfway see and think straight, so I fire up e-Sword (my Bible study software) and open up to the book of Ruth. From that point on, I am immersed in Bible study until about 9:15 or so, at which point I realize I need to get ready for church, so I jump up and head for the shower.

At about ten 'till I hop in the car with my guitar, Bible, sermon steno and Ruth steno. As I back out of my parking spot, I give my folks a quick call to see what the morning is holding for them. After a quick 5 min drive I arrive at my parking spot at church...(well, I don't really have a parking spot, but usually park within one or two spaces all the time).

We usually start off with a couple of songs and then Pastor starts preaching the Sunday School message. We have recently finished a study on eschatology (spelling?) or the study of end times, and we have been looking at the doctrine of angels. Around 11:00, we take a break before the main service begins. Usually several more folks show up and that is usually when visitors arrive.

We then sing several songs, have announcements and offering, more songs, and then the main message. We often go until 12:15 or 12:30, and then spend some time chatting afterwards. After that, it's off to Olive Garden for me. I usually spend an hour or two eating and doing more Bible study...that's where the Ruth steno comes in. Sometimes I will key off an idea from the morning's message that compares nicely with the themes from Ruth.

After lunch, I head home. My afternoons vary to some degree, but often I will listen to a message on Ruth from sermonaudio or download a new one. With this playing, I will lay down and drift off to a wonderful "spiritual" nap.

When the alarm goes off, it may be time for church already, or I may have an hour or so to drink some coffee and do a little more Bible study. Then it's off to church for the 6:00 service. This is comprised of more songs and an evening message. Sometimes after church, several of us head over to Chili's for a quick after-service bite.

Otherwise, I head for home. Sometimes I do a bit more Bible study. At other times I'll watch a little TV. I try to get to bed at a fairly decent time, for there is men's prayer on Monday morning at 6:30AM! But that is for another day...

6 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Hi Derek, thanks for the photo compliments! Taking pictures has become a fun hobby. Your Sundays sound full, but it sure is nice to have a day set apart from the others to focus on God's Word. By the way, I'm getting used to seeing pics of you with your "cue ball" look... I'd ask you if your head gets cold, but anyone who wears Tivas and shorts in a foot of snow can probably handle an exposed head!

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Derek,
Are you still in Logan? What church are you attending? I attended the Church of Christ when I was going to school (after I got saved). It was a very small church, but I made some wonderful friends there. Your Sunday sounds very full and fulfilling! As for your haircut...it looks uh...quite short! And thanks for posting all the photos of the CPCC folks at the wedding. Its just really nice to see all their faces!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Cooke family said...

Do you go to olive garden every sunday? By yourself?

4:46 PM  
Blogger sixwickerts said...

Believe it or not, I went to the Olive Garden for the first time just last month. I have never been one for Italian food, so we had always avoided it. However, we decided to be daring and try something different, it was SO good. I had the Chicken Marsarla, have you ever had that? If not I highly recommend it :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

To answer the Cooke's question, yup, I go by myself and usually every Sunday. Helen, I have had the chicken marsala several times and like it a lot. I probably have tried almost everything on the menu. All the managers stop by the table to say "hi" when I'm in there, and several of the waiters and waitresses do as well!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Derek Linder said...

Julie, I am attending Grace Baptist on 6th North and about 5th West. It is a great little church and Pastor Stonehouse has been there about 23 years.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home