Monday, May 14, 2007

Life and Change

I have been contemplating the significance of this year for some time...I suppose since last December. This is the year I turn 30, and I was wondering if this might be the year that the Lord would do something different in my life, be it vocation, position, ministry, et all. I felt it was fairly significant that Joseph, David and the Lord Himself all began their ministries at the age of 30. (Not that there is anything mystical about it, just that my attention was more focused on it).

Off and on over the last few months, I've been thinking and praying about this, and several key topics have come up either in sermons, conversation or private Bible study. One of these is that, whenever it happens, the Lord's return is imminent. I don't believe that it will be long before the trumpet sounds and those who are saved will go to meet the Lord in the air. In the past, especially in my early teens, this did not really excite me. I wanted to be able to do things, see things, etc. Now, however, this blessed hope grows sweeter each day, especially as the Lord continues to reveal more of Himself to me, and more of myself to me.

Not only am I struck by the impending trumpet call, but also the mission-mindedness that the early church had. I say mission rather than missions, for, while missions was a big part, the fact that they were on a mission from God, while here on earth, seems to have permeated the early church. Paul speaks of doing all for the glory of God. He speaks of this while writing to the early church.

When our Lord was here on the earth, He mentioned several times that in the last days, the love of many will grow cold. He implies that there will be a carelessness and apathetic attitude towards serving the Lord. That scares me, for I seem to see it reflected in some of what is called Christianity today. It has increasingly been a burden for me, that we as followers of Christ be extremely zealous for Him in the days before His return. My desire is that true Christians will not become ensnared in the psychology and logic of today's society, but would rather be steeped in the pages of the Bible, learning more of the One who paid such a price for us, and what He desires.

One of the major changes that has taken place in me this past week or two is one that few of you who know me will really believe...at least at first. For the last 25+ years, at least as far back as I can remember, I have had a passion for aviation. All things with wings have been my interest, especially since graduating high school. I even chose a career in the military that dealt exclusively with aircraft. This last week or two, my passion for aviation, airplanes, and even the Grumman amphibians has been turned off, almost as if a switch was flipped. This has never happened to me before. There have been times I have been less fired-up about airplanes than at others, but neverthless, it has been a burning passion for years. That passion is gone. Period. I still like airplanes, don't get me wrong. I still look up if one is flying overhead, but the passion is no more.

Where does that leave me? Well, I am not sure yet. I believe that the Lord is starting to do something in me, perhaps in the area of ministry, whether it be in a full-time capacity or as a layman. Many questions lie unanswered as of yet. I don't know what the future holds. But I do know this...that I am being molded and shaped for something, and I trust, as I submit to our Lord and Savior, that He will make it clear in His way and His time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home